Comply with charity law
As an academy trustee you're a charity trustee. Therefore, under charity law, you must:
- Ensure the charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- Comply with the charity’s governing document and the law
- Act in the charity’s best interests
- Manage the charity’s resources responsibly
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Ensure the charity is accountable
This is outlined on page 72 of the governance handbook.
The Charity Commission has published guidance on your responsibilities as a trustee, which you can find here.
Comply with company law
As an academy trustee you're also a company director. Make sure you're clear on your academy's articles of association.
You must comply with your duties under the Companies Act 2006 to:
See page 72 to