Academy trustees: legal obligations
As an academy trustee, you have legal duties as a charity trustee and a company director. Be clear on what they are, and where you can go for legal advice, so you're compliant.
Comply with charity law
As an academy trustee you're a charity trustee. Therefore, you must comply with the following duties under charity law:
- Ensure the charity is carrying out its purposes for the public benefit
- Comply with the charity’s governing document and the law
- Act in the charity’s best interests
- Manage the charity’s resources responsibly
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Ensure the charity is accountable
This is outlined on page 72 of the governance handbook.
The Charity Commission has published guidance on your responsibilities as a trustee under these duties, which you can find here.
Comply with company law
Act within your powers Promote the success of the company Exercise independent judgment Exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence Avoid conflicts of interest Not to accept benefits from third parties Declare any interest in proposed transactions