How to encourage parents to become governors
Follow these tips to put together an advert that appeals to parents and encourages them to stand for election to your governing board.
We worked with school governor recruitment service Governors for Schools to create this article.
Explain what the role involves and who can apply
You should create an advert that sets out:
- Who can apply (check the eligibility requirements in our articles for maintained schools and academies)
- The role and functions of the governing board
- The expectations of new governors, particularly regarding their attendance at meetings and membership of committees
- The skills and experience that you want new governors to have, based on your board's self-evaluation
- What training and development opportunities there will be
This transparency will help you to conduct informed elections
If you're a maintained school, or an academy running a parent governor election, being clear about the above will help:
- Your candidates to publish a tailored statement explaining how they meet the expectations and criteria of the governing board
- Your electorate to make an informed decision and better judge the candidates' statements
You can’t require