Governor recruitment, skills audits & training
Governor skills & effectiveness 13 articles
- Download our 20 key questions and sources of evidence to help you evaluate how effective your governing board is.
- An annual governance statement is required for an academy, and is good practice for a maintained school. Get guidance on what your statement needs to contain, and take a look at examples from other schools.
- Whether you're the chair of a maintained school, an academy trust board or an LGB, understand your role by downloading our role descriptions. You'll also find skills audits to help you identify your strengths and the skills and knowledge you still need to acquire in your role.
Recruiting & retaining governors 9 articles
- Use our model application form to help you recruit governors and trustees, and save yourself time.
- You can ask new governors for references so you’re confident they’re suitable for the role. Use our model letter and reference form to contact referees and save you time.
- Find out what questions you can ask when interviewing a prospective governor so you can make sure you have the right people for your school.
Training & induction 16 articles
- Be clear on the key financial terms you'll encounter as a governor at a maintained school or an academy, plus download our glossary to share it with your board.
- Strong financial management is one of the pillars of good governance. Find out what training and resources are available to you to enhance your knowledge of school finance.
- The key governance terms you'll encounter, including roles on the board, school types, meeting procedures and key documents. Plus, a downloadable version to share with new governors.