Recruiting & retaining governors
- Governor and trustee recruitment: interview questions to ask Find out what questions you can ask when interviewing a prospective governor or trustee, so you can make sure you have the right people on your board.
- Governor recruitment: application form Use our model application form to help you recruit governors and trustees, and save yourself time.
- Governor recruitment: asking for references You can ask new governors for references so you’re confident they’re suitable for the role. Use our model letter and reference form to contact referees and save you time.
- How to encourage parents to become governors Follow these tips to put together an advert that appeals to parents and encourages them to stand for election to your governing board.
- How to encourage staff to serve on your governing board Encourage staff members to stand for election to your governing board by raising your board's profile at school. Follow our tips to put together a strong advert at election time, ease common concerns and know what to do if you aren't getting applications.
- How to recruit school governors and trustees Work through this step-by-step process to recruit new governors or trustees. It covers identifying your needs, advertising the role, screening candidates and making the appointment.
- New governor welcome letter: template As a chair of governors, download and adapt our template letter so you can welcome your new governor to your board with confidence.
- Recruiting parent governors: PRUs and special schools Parents may be unwilling to commit to the parent governor position if their child won’t at your school for long, or they live far away. Get tips on how to build your school community and attract people to apply to be a parent governor.
- Recruit missing talent: resources for tackling diversity on your board Diversity in governance matters because all children need and deserve representation – especially in their schools. If your board is struggling to diversify, we've put together some resources to help you remove barriers and develop a more inclusive culture.