As well as being required for maintained schools, having a staff governor will make for a stronger board. This is because you'll have the benefit of a different perspective.
Find more information on the role of a staff governor.
Promote the governing body's work all year round
If staff are already familiar with the role of the governing board, you won’t have to start from the very beginning every time you have a vacancy. Raise the board's profile by:
- Explaining what the governors are up to on your school website
- Having staff governors give regular and useful updates to the staff body throughout the year
- Showing the board's appreciation for the staff – for example, by thanking staff for their hard work over the year
- Featuring governors’ work in your school newsletter and on social media
- Putting up information and updates on notice boards around the school
- Promoting the role through informal conversations in the staff room