Suspensions and exclusions
- Governors' suspensions and exclusions panels: procedures As a governor, you'll most likely be asked to consider a suspension or exclusion at some point. Read about the procedures to follow when sitting on the governors' panel.
- Governors' suspensions and exclusions panels: purpose and membership Learn when a suspensions or exclusions panel is required, the timelines for considering different types of suspension or exclusion, and who can make up the membership.
- Governors' suspensions and exclusions panels: using evidence The governors' suspensions and exclusions panel will use various forms of evidence to establish the facts. Learn all about the types of evidence you can expect to see and how they're used in considering suspensions and exclusions.
- Independent review panels: membership and procedures Parents have the right to request a review of the governing board's decision not to reinstate a pupil after exclusion. The review is done by an independent review panel (IRP). Find out what to expect from the IRP and what the outcomes might be.
- Off-rolling: how to identify and prevent it Ofsted will look for evidence of 'off-rolling'. Find out what it is – and what it isn't. See what measures your board can put in place to hold your senior leaders to account and prevent off-rolling in your school.
- Reconsidering reinstatement after an independent review panel Following a decision from an independent review panel, your governing board might be required to reconsider reinstating an excluded pupil. Understand the steps that you need to take next.
- Suspensions and exclusions Read a short summary of the rules around suspension and exclusion, including the governing board's responsibilities.
- Suspensions and exclusions guidance: changes from September 2023 Updated Updated guidance on suspensions and exclusions will come into effect on 1 September 2023, for new cases arising from that point onwards. Here we help you sort through what's changed and what hasn't so you can start the new year with confidence.
- Suspensions and exclusions: resolving difficulties with parents Get advice on what to do if parents behave in an unacceptable way during the suspension or exclusion process. Find out what your school can do if parents can't be reached when a pupil is suspended.