You are here:

Appointing a clerk to the governing body

Ref: 3353
Last updated on 24 August 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
How can we appoint a clerk to governors? Governing bodies can do this through their LA clerking service, or independently. We look at examples of clerking services and link to recruitment resources. We also relay advice on what to do if the governing body is struggling to find a suitable clerk.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.10 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your governing body. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school governors access to:

  • 1,500+ online articles, with information and resources to help governors get to grips with their role
  • Policy bank from schools and other organisations
  • Downloadable template forms and reports, and planners
  • Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
  • Pre-inspection resources, including questions that inspectors may ask
  • A weekly News Briefing


  1. 1 Governing bodies must appoint a clerk
  2. 2 Appointing a clerk to governors: DfE advice
  3. 3 Recruiting a clerk independently: resources from The Key
  4. 4 Using local authority clerking services
  5. 5 Using a governor support service
  6. 6 What happens if we can't find a suitable clerk?

Article features

  • 12 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.