Roles on the governing board
Chair of the governing board 11 articles
- Read our top tips on how to chair a full governing board meeting – including how to prepare in advance, stick to time and keep things on track. Use our audit to evaluate how effective your meetings are.
- Make meetings with the headteacher more productive by checking out this advice on why you should meet and what you should focus on.
- Get tips on how to develop and nurture a positive working relationship with your CEO so you can support your trust.
Clerk to the governing board 9 articles
- Learn how you can use GovernorHub effectively to complete a range of common clerking tasks.
- Know how to provide an effective induction for your new clerk so they can hit the ground running. A thoughtful induction process will also serve as evidence of your commitment to training. Download our checklist to make sure you've got everything covered.
- Clerks, governance co-ordinators and governance leads play a key role in school and trust governance and should expect to be paid accordingly. Use the findings from our report on benchmarking pay and working patterns, to ensure you are paid fairly for the work that you do.
The headteacher's role on the board 3 articles
- Learn about the division of responsibilities between the board and the headteacher, and read advice on keeping your role strategic, not operational.
- Whether your board is in a maintained school or academy, or works with a headteacher, principal or CEO, make sure you understand their role and rights on your board, so your meetings run smoothly.
- Use our template report to make sure you're giving your governing board all the information it needs to do its job well.