Recruitment: senior leaders
- Advertising for a headteacher vacancy: requirements Get up to speed on what you need to know about advertising for a new headteacher, including “good reasons” for not advertising at all.
- Co-headship: guidance for governors Learn about what co-headship is and what you need to consider when deciding if it might be right for your school. Read about commonly used co-headship models and find pointers for long-term success.
- Deputy headteachers: appointment and pay The process for appointing and setting pay for a deputy headteacher is nearly identical to that for a headteacher. Understand the step-by-step process for hiring new deputy heads, as well as how to pay acting deputy heads.
- Headteacher absence: how to respond Know what your board needs to do if your headteacher is absent for a short-term or long-term period, for example if they're on sick leave or have resigned. Download and adapt our template letter to communicate the situation to parents.
- Headteacher recruitment: an overview Read our step-by-step guide to recruiting a headteacher or principal, including advertising, shortlisting candidates, holding interviews and making the appointment.
- Headteacher selection panel: requirements and eligibility Headteacher selection panels are required in maintained schools and recommended in academies. Understand who can be on the panel and how to keep all governors involved in the recruitment process.
- Ratifying the decision of the headteacher recruitment panel Understand your role and the process for ratifying the panel's decision. Find out what questions to ask to hold the panel to account.
- Writing a reference for your headteacher Understand what’s expected of you if you receive a reference request for your headteacher. Find out whether you need to write a reference, who should write it and what it should cover.