Overview of the standards and how to use them
The Headteachers' Standards 2020 are non-statutory.
The standards are divided into 2 sections. They're intended to be relevant to all headteachers and cover the full breadth of leadership responsibility within a school. Nevertheless, you and your headteacher should interpret the standards in the context of your school and your headteacher as an individual.
Your school's employer will need to decide which of the standards applies to each role if:
- Your headteacher is part of a larger leadership structure, such as a multi-academy trust (MAT)
- Your headteacher is head of more than 1 school
- The role is a co-headship
The Headteachers' Standards build on the Teachers' Standards
The Headteachers' Standards lays out how headteachers can meet:
- The requirements of the Teachers’ Standards, and
- The additional responsibilities of headship
To support your headteacher's own practice and