Our associate expert Keith Clover, a National Leader of Governance, helped us with this article.
General questions to ask
If you don't have a specific link governor role, use these general questions as a guide to what you can ask.
You don't need to ask all of them in 1 meeting, and you can ask them to any subject leader, regardless of subject or phase.
Questions about them as a leader
- How long have you been the leader for your subject? If they've been a subject leader for a while, ask:
- How do you feel the subject is doing?
- What impact have you had as leader?
- What training have you had? How well do you understand the area?
- How do you support staff with:
- Teaching, resources and planning?
- Continuous professional development (CPD)?
- Assessments and internal and external moderation?
- How do you keep staff informed of developments or changes in your subject?
- How do you provide staff with feedback? What impact does this have?