Staff & headteacher recruitment
Interview questions & tasks 6 articles
- Assistant headteacher: interview questions and tasks Cover everything you need to during the interview process with our example questions, with some specific to primary, secondary, special and faith schools. Understand what you can't ask in an interview and use our tasks document to see a candidate put their skills into practice.
- Clerk to the governing board: interview questions Download and adapt our example interview questions and record sheet (based on the DfE's clerking competency framework), so you can recruit your next clerk/governance professional with confidence.
- Deputy headteacher: interview questions Download and use our example interview questions and record sheet so you can feel confident that a candidate is a good fit for your school. Pick specific questions for primary, secondary, special and faith schools.
Job descriptions 1 article
- Job description and person specification: headteacher Use our model job description and person specification to help you recruit for your next headteacher - it's based on the Headteachers' Standards 2020.
Recruitment processes 6 articles
- Governing board's role in appointing staff Understand the part your board plays in appointing headteachers, deputy headteachers and other members of staff in maintained schools and academies. Discover more about your safer recruitment responsibilities and how to remain strategic.
- Headteacher recruitment: top tips for attracting candidates Recruiting a headteacher can feel like a daunting task. Read our top tips to make sure you attract the best candidates for your school and take our headteacher recruitment training module to be fully prepared.
- Headteacher recruitment: what to do if it's not going well Recruiting a headteacher is difficult, time-consuming, and it isn't always successful despite your best efforts. Here's some advice on how to start over if it's not going well and you can't turn it around.
Recruitment: senior leaders 8 articles
- Advertising for a headteacher vacancy: requirements Get up to speed on what you need to know about advertising for a new headteacher, including “good reasons” for not advertising at all.
- Co-headship: guidance for governors Learn about what co-headship is and what you need to consider when deciding if it might be right for your school. Read about commonly used co-headship models and find pointers for long-term success.
- Deputy headteachers: appointment and pay The process for appointing and setting pay for a deputy headteacher is nearly identical to that for a headteacher. Understand the step-by-step process for hiring new deputy heads, as well as how to pay acting deputy heads.
Recruitment: teachers & support staff 1 article
- Early career teacher (ECT) induction: summary Read about your school's requirements and responsibilities for the statutory 2-year induction period for early career teachers (ECT)s.