Staff & headteacher recruitment
Interview questions & tasks 6 articles
- Cover everything you need to during the interview process with our example questions, with some specific to primary, secondary, special and faith schools. Understand what you can't ask in an interview and use our tasks document to see a candidate put their skills into practice.
- Download and adapt our example interview questions and record sheet (based on the DfE's clerking competency framework), so you can recruit your next clerk/governance professional with confidence.
- Download and use our example interview questions and record sheet so you can feel confident that a candidate is a good fit for your school. Pick specific questions for primary, secondary, special and faith schools.
Job descriptions 1 article
Recruitment processes 6 articles
- Understand the part your board plays in appointing headteachers, deputy headteachers and other members of staff in maintained schools and academies. Learn more about your safer recruitment responsibilities and how to remain strategic.
- Recruiting a headteacher can feel like a daunting task. Read our top tips to make sure you attract the best candidates for your school and take our headteacher recruitment training module to be fully prepared.
- Recruiting a headteacher is difficult, time-consuming, and it isn't always successful despite your best efforts. Here's some advice on how to start over if it's not going well and you can't turn it around.
Recruitment: senior leaders 8 articles
- Get up to speed on what you need to know about advertising for a new headteacher, including “good reasons” for not advertising at all and the safeguarding and equality requirements you need to comply with.
- Learn about what co-headship is and what you need to consider when deciding if it might be right for your school. Read about commonly used co-headship models and find pointers for long-term success.
- The process for appointing and setting pay for a deputy headteacher is nearly identical to that for a headteacher. Understand the step-by-step process for hiring new deputy heads, as well as how to pay acting deputy heads.
Recruitment: teachers & support staff 1 article