Your role in teachers' pay progression
Understand the pay and progression process, from what to expect in the report from your headteacher, to how to manage appeals. We've included special considerations for this year in light of COVID-19.
Your role as a governor in staff pay decisions
Your board's role in approving teachers' pay recommendations sits within a wider role in determining pay progression across the school.
Your board's responsibilities depend on the type of school you're in.
Your board is responsible for:
- Reviewing and approving your teachers' pay policy
- Making sure the appraisal policy is robust and doesn't negatively impact teachers' workloads
- Making sure your policy links performance to pay and can be applied consistently and objectively
- Considering and approving the recommendations of the senior leadership team about awarding performance-related pay progression
- Monitoring the outcomes of pay decisions
- Checking that processes operate fairly
- Being aware of the impact that pay decisions have on the school's budget
- Making sure pay appeals are managed in line with the school pay and appraisal policies
This is outlined on pages 9-10 of the school teachers' pay and