Which policies should you set centrally?

It's up to you. Use our expert advice and risk assessment, and see examples from trusts to help you decide.

on 5 June 2024
See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 40741
  1. Set your policies in line with your trust's scheme of delegation
  2. Set these policies centrally
  3. Set these centrally, but ask your schools to adapt them
  4. Delegate these to your schools
  5. If you still can't decide, carry out a risk assessment
  6. Trust examples

Set your policies in line with your trust's scheme of delegation

  • If you don't have local governing bodies (LGBs) or committees, or they have very little autonomy, we suggest that you centralise the majority of your policies
  • If your LGBs or committees have a level of delegated responsibility, follow the guidelines below

This article refers to statutory and non-statutory policies. Find out what policies your trust or schools must have.

Set these policies centrally

There are some policies that we recommend you set centrally. You'll need to review your scheme of delegation if the responsibility currently lies with LGBs.  

HR policies

As your trust is the overall employer, set all HR policies at trust level. This includes:

  • Pay policies
  • Maternity/paternity/family leave policies
  • Staff discipline or grievance policies
  • Safer recruitment
  • Whistle-blowing policy
  • Any other policies relating to your staff

Having different HR policies in your schools:

  • Could be seen as discrimination under the Equality Act 2010
  • Could cause problems in a disciplinary and/or grievance process

Your trust

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.