Members, trustees and local governors
The trust must make sure the following are carried out on members, trustees, and local governors with delegated responsibilities:
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- This will need to include a barred list check if they will be in regulated activity (see below)
- A section 128 check
- Checks to confirm their identity (including as a part of the DBS check)
- Checks to confirm their right to work in the UK
- Any other checks deemed appropriate where the individual has lived or worked outside the UK (guidance available)
This is outlined in paragraphs 319 to 326 of Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) 2022, and in section 20(6)(b) of The Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014.
Local governors without delegated responsibilities should also be subject to the same checks as above. The DfE told us this.
What is 'regulated activity'?
Will be responsible, on a regular basis