Roles on the governing board
Chair of the governing board 11 articles
- Chairing meetings: your complete guide Read our top tips on how to chair a full governing board meeting – including how to prepare in advance, stick to time and keep things on track. Use our audit to evaluate how effective your meetings are.
- Chair of governors: meetings with the headteacher Make meetings with the headteacher more productive by checking out this advice on why you should meet and what you should focus on.
- Chair of trustees: how to work effectively with your CEO Get tips on how to develop and nurture a positive working relationship with your CEO so you can support your trust.
Clerk to the governing board 8 articles
- Clerk's guide to GovernorHub Get skilled up on how you can use GovernorHub to tackle some common tasks efficiently and easily.
- Governance professionals' pay and hours Clerks, governance co-ordinators and governance leads play a key role in school and trust governance and should expect to be paid accordingly. Use the findings from our report on benchmarking pay and working patterns, to ensure you are paid fairly for the work that you do.
- How to carry out a clerk's appraisal The quality of your clerking is key to the performance of your board(s). Learn how to carry out an annual performance review so you can drive high standards and support clerking professional development.
Link governors 23 articles
- Allocating link governor roles Find out what link governor roles your board should have and get advice on how to allocate them.
- Assessment: role of the link governor Get clarity on your role as the link governor for assessment. Find out how to monitor assessment and save time with our example questions to school leaders to hold them to account.
- Careers: role of the link governor Find out what your role is as a link governor for careers. See what questions you can ask the careers staff member to support and challenge them around your school's careers strategy and pupil impact.
The headteacher's role on the board 3 articles
- Division of responsibilities: governing board and headteacher Learn about the division of responsibilities between the board and the headteacher, and read advice on keeping your role strategic, not operational.
- Headteacher and senior executive leader: roles on the governing board Whether your board is in a maintained school or academy, or works with a headteacher, principal or CEO, make sure you understand their role and rights on your board, so your meetings run smoothly.
- Headteacher's report to governors: template and guidance Use our template report to make sure you're giving the governing board all the information it needs to do its job well.