Roles on the governing board
Chair of the governing board 11 articles
- Read our top tips on how to chair a full governing board meeting – including how to prepare in advance, stick to time and keep things on track. Use our audit to evaluate how effective your meetings are.
- Make meetings with the headteacher more productive by checking out this advice on why you should meet and what you should focus on.
- Get tips on how to develop and nurture a positive working relationship with your CEO so you can support your trust.
Clerk to the governing board 8 articles
- Get skilled up on how you can use GovernorHub to tackle some common tasks efficiently and easily.
- Governance professionals play a key role in school governance and should expect to be paid accordingly. Understand what factors go into deciding your pay and hours and find some resources for benchmarking your own salary.
- The quality of your clerking is key to the performance of your board(s). Learn how to carry out an annual performance review so you can drive high standards and support clerking professional development.
The headteacher's role on the board 3 articles
- Learn about the division of responsibilities between the board and the headteacher, and read advice on keeping your role strategic, not operational.
- Whether your board is in a maintained school or academy, or works with a headteacher, principal or CEO, make sure you understand their role and rights on your board, so your meetings run smoothly.
- Use our template report to make sure you're giving the governing board all the information it needs to do its job well.