Phonics screening check
All pupils should take the check in June 2024 if they have:
- Reached the age of 6 by the end of the academic year and completed the first year of the KS1 English programme of study
- Reached the age of 7 by the end of the academic year and didn't meet the expected standard in the June 2023 check or haven't taken the check before
Your headteacher will make the final decision about whether it's appropriate for a pupil to take the check.
This is explained in section 5.2 of the 2024 assessment and reporting arrangements (phonics screening check)
Who do the requirements apply to?
- Maintained schools
- Academies (including free schools)
- Special schools (including maintained special schools and special academies)
- Alternative provision (AP) settings including pupil referral units (PRUs)
- Independent schools that have chosen to participate in the KS1 assessments
KS1 assessments are no longer statutory. There