Appointment of governors & associate members
- Appointing and re-appointing academy trustees: the rules Understand the different categories of trustee and how each one is appointed. Find out the rules for co-opted, foundation/sponsor-appointed and parent trustees, as well as staff and associate members, and directors in church academy trusts.
- Appointing and re-appointing maintained school governors: the rules Understand the different categories of governor and how each one is appointed. Find out the rules for co-opted, foundation, local authority, parent, and staff governors, as well as associate members.
- Appointing staff members as co-opted governors Be clear on the rules for appointing staff members who aren't "staff governors" to your board. Consider the pros and cons of co-opting staff members, to make sure you don't miss out on talent and skills.
- Changing governor/trustee category An existing governor or trustee can move to a different category as long as they fit the eligibility criteria. Use this process to re-appoint a governor or trustee in a new category.
- How to resign from your governing board Find out the right way to resign from your post based on the type of role you have, and adapt our template letter to your needs.
- What to do when a governor resigns The clerk and the chair have procedures to follow when a governor or trustee resigns. Find out what these are and send our template letter to help make sure they leave on good terms.