Constitution & membership
Appointment of governors & associate members 6 articles
- Appointing and re-appointing academy trustees: the rules Understand the different categories of trustee and how each one is appointed. Find out the rules for co-opted, foundation/sponsor-appointed and parent trustees, as well as staff and associate members, and directors in church academy trusts.
- Appointing and re-appointing maintained school governors: the rules Understand the different categories of governor and how each one is appointed. Find out the rules for co-opted, foundation, local authority, parent, and staff governors, as well as associate members.
- Appointing staff members as co-opted governors Be clear on the rules for appointing staff members who aren't "staff governors" to your board. Consider the pros and cons of co-opting staff members, to make sure you don't miss out on talent and skills.
Elections to the governing board 5 articles
- Dealing with problematic governor candidates in maintained schools The governing board can't stop a parent or staff governor candidate from standing in an election. Read guidance on how you can get the right candidate for the role, and under what circumstances elected governors can be removed.
- Governor elections: voting systems Be clear on the rules surrounding elections and what different systems you can use, both online and in person. Understand how to make sure voting is secure and confidential, and see examples from schools and trusts on what they do.
- Parent governor/trustee elections If you're the chair or clerk, follow this process to make sure you carry out parent governor/trustee elections efficiently, and in line with the rules.
Eligibility, removal & disqualification 5 articles
- Disqualification of governors and trustees Know what will disqualify a governor or trustee from serving on your board and use our template declaration of eligibility to confirm that all your board members are qualified.
- Governor categories in maintained schools The governing boards of maintained schools must be made up of specific types of governors. Understand what all of the different categories of governors are and the roles they play in school governance.
- Local authority governors in maintained schools If you're a maintained school, you're required to have a local authority governor on your board. Find out what an LA governor is, how they're appointed and the restrictions on who can fill the role.
Governor administration 4 articles
- Governor email accounts As a governor, the personal data you send over email must be kept secure. Use a secure school email address to help you meet UK GDPR requirements.
- How to use online tools to conduct business between meetings You should use formal meetings (in person or virtually) as much as possible, but sometimes you need a way to communicate in between meetings. Understand the rules and what's appropriate when using a platform like GovernorHub or email to conduct governing board business.
- School governors' right to time off work You have the right to take 'reasonable' time off work to carry out your governor duties. Find out what the rules are, if your profession is exempt, and what to do if you're having problems with your employer.
The constitution of the governing board 7 articles
- Associate members: role and restrictions Associate members aren't governors, but you can appoint them to serve on committees and attend meetings. Understand who's eligible to be an associate member and what their rights are.
- Co-opted governors/trustees: role Understand the role of a co-opted governor/co-opted trustee, and find guidance on who's eligible to be appointed and what their voting rights and restrictions are.
- Parent governor/trustee: role Learn how to separate your role as a governor or trustee from your role as a parent, so you can manage your relationship with other parents and do your job well.