Constitution & membership
Appointment of governors & associate members 5 articles
- We run through the different categories of governor/trustee and how each one is appointed. Understand the rules for co-opted, foundation, local authority, parent, and staff governors, as well as associate members.
- Be clear on the rules for appointing staff members who aren't "staff governors" to your board. Consider the pros and cons of co-opting staff members, to make sure you don't miss out on talent and skills.
- An existing governor or trustee can move to a different category as long as they fit the eligibility criteria. Use this process to re-appoint a governor or trustee in a new category.
Elections to the governing board 5 articles
- The governing board can't stop a parent or staff governor candidate from standing in an election. Read guidance on how you can get the right candidate for the role, and under what circumstances elected governors can be removed.
- Be clear on the rules surrounding elections and what different systems you can use – both online and in person – including how to make sure voting is safe and secure.
- If you're the chair or clerk, follow this process to make sure you carry out parent governor/trustee elections efficiently, and in line with the rules.
Eligibility, removal & disqualification 5 articles
- Know what will disqualify a governor or trustee from serving on your board and use our template declaration of eligibility to confirm that all your board members are qualified.
- The governing boards of maintained schools must be made up of specific types of governors. Understand what all of the different categories of governors are and the roles they play in school governance.
- All maintained schools are required to have a local authority governor on the board. Read about what an LA governor is and the function they serve.
Governor administration 4 articles
- As a governor, the personal data you send over email must be kept secure. Use a secure school email address to help you to meet the GDPR requirement to prevent a data breach and respond to subject access requests quickly.
- You should use formal meetings (in person or virtually) as much as possible, but sometimes you need a way to communicate in-between meetings. Understand the rules and what's appropriate when using virtual tools like GovernorHub or email to conduct governing board business.
- You have the right to take 'reasonable' time off work for governor duties. Find out what the rules are, if your profession is exempt, and what to do if you're having problems with your employer.
The constitution of the governing board 7 articles
- Associate members aren't governors, but you can appoint them to serve on committees and attend meetings. Understand who's eligible to be an associate member and what their rights are.
- Understand the role of a co-opted governor/co-opted trustee, with guidance on who's eligible to be appointed and what their voting rights and restrictions are.
- Learn how to separate your role as a governor from your role as a parent, so you can manage your relationship with other parents and do your job well.