LAC and previously LAC: role of governors
Find out what your responsibilities are regarding looked-after children (LAC) and previously LAC. Be clear on the statutory requirements so your school can stay compliant.
Make sure there's a designated teacher
As a governing board, you must make sure:
- A designated teacher is appointed to promote the educational achievement of LAC and previously LAC
- This teacher undertakes appropriate training
- You consider any annual report about LAC and previously LAC and act on any issues that the report raises
You also need to make sure staff have the skills, knowledge and understanding to keep LAC safe.
Who can be the designated teacher?
They must be:
- A qualified teacher who has completed an appropriate induction period (if required), or
- The executive leader or acting executive leader at your school
See pages 86 and 87 of the Governance Handbook.
Can there be more than 1?
However, some functions (such as pastoral and administrative tasks) can be delegated to other people, depending on your