Division of responsibilities: governing board and headteacher
Learn about the division of responsibilities between the board and the headteacher, and read advice on keeping the governor role strategic, not operational.
In more detail
By law, the core functions of the governing board are to make sure that:
- The vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school are clearly defined
- The headteacher performs their responsibilities for the educational performance of the school
- The use of the school's financial resources is sound, proper and effective
- Pay a strategic role
- Avoid routine involvement in operational matters
- Focus strongly on holding their executive leader to account for exercising their professional judgement about how the school should be organised and managed
You'll find the roles set out in this way in the Governance Handbook, and the School Governance (Roles, Procedures and Allowances) (England) Regulations 2013.
The internal organisation, management and control of the school The educational performance of the school Along with others, leading, developing and supporting the strategic direction, vision, values and priorities of the school Developing, implementing and evaluating the school’s policies, practices and procedures Leading and managing teaching Lead, manage