You must have a clerk
This applies to both maintained schools and academies.
This is explained on page 46 of the Governance Handbook.
Check what support is available to you
Speak to your local authority (LA) or trust
You might not need to do the whole recruitment process under your own steam.
Speak to your LA or trust to see if they:
- Will appoint a clerk for you
- Have a recommended process you should follow
- Have specific recruitment literature they want you to use
- Can support you during the process
- Can help you with advertising
- Can put you in touch with any clerking services
For example, Torbay Council’s clerks toolkit sets out its recommended process for recruiting a clerk.
Decide whether to use a clerking service
This might be through your LA, or by getting in touch with an independent clerking service.
Please note: the