You are here:
Headteacher recruitment: top tips for attracting candidates
If your headteacher has just resigned (or intends to), it might feel as though there's no time to find any replacement, much less the perfect headteacher for your school. You've got time. Here's what to do now.
- Start your search as soon as you get notice from your head
- Take the time you need to choose the right person
- Arrange temporary cover
- Conduct an exit interview with the outgoing head
- Get a recruitment pack ready to go
- Make sure your online presence is appealing
- Get the best bang for your buck in advertising
- Advertise online for free
- How to deal with specific challenges
Start your search as soon as you get notice from your head
Anecdotally, the second half of the spring term tends to have the heaviest volume of candidates. But even if you're recruiting in an 'off' period:
- Put the effort into making your advert extra appealing
- Make sure your website and social media are as enticing as possible
We'll go through how to do both of these things later in this article. They might just be the encouragement your future headteacher needs to turn in their notice at their current school.
Take the time you need to choose the right person
If your school follows the Burgundy Book, your headteacher needs to give you at least 3 months' notice so try not to feel rushed. Desperation is the biggest pitfall in headteacher recruitment so give yourself the time you need to make the right hire.
You can survive a term or even 2 without
More from The Key
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.