Funding for pupils with SEN

Understand how provision for pupils with special educational needs (SEN) is funded in your school.

Last reviewed on 15 January 2024See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 4735
  1. Mainstream schools: you'll receive funding in 2 main ways
  2. Funding for pupils in SEN units and resourced provision
  3. Special schools and alternative provision (AP): how you'll receive funding
  4. Personal budgets for pupils with EHC plans

Mainstream schools: you'll receive funding in 2 main ways

1. Your budget or core funding

As a mainstream maintained school, academy or free school, your school will receive resources to support its pupils with special educational needs (SEN) through its main budget, or core funding - this is known as your 'notional SEN budget'. 

Read more about how your school's budget is calculated through the national funding formula (NFF)

Meet the needs

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.