How to support a new headteacher
As a chair, be clear on how you can support your new headteacher (including in light of coronavirus) and induct them effectively. Download our checklist to help you keep track of what you need to do.
Set up regular meetings
One of the first things to do is establish how and when you'll have regular catch-ups with your new headteacher:
- Decide how you’ll communicate
- Phone, email, video conferencing, in person – whatever you and your headteacher choose should be tailored to how your headteacher works best
- Set a schedule
- This'll be based on when your headteacher would prefer to be contacted, including time of day and how often. Try to establish the same weekly/fortnightly slot, so you’re both clear on what’s expected and no one feels overloaded
- Keep an eye on their wellbeing
- This a fresh relationship, so put wellbeing on your meeting agenda to help you build a healthy habit of checking in on them
Be clear on how else you can work well with your headteacher.
Coronavirus: new headteachers in 2020/21
Along with setting up your regular meetings with them