Thanks to Fred Birkett, Harry James, Mark Trusson, Keith Clover and Ian Preston, our associate governance experts, for their help writing this article.
Flowchart: governors' role in school improvement through the year
What's a SIP?
Your school improvement plan (SIP) is a document that sets out:
- What specific actions your school will take to meet its objectives
- When those actions will be carried out
- Who is responsible for carrying out each action
- How progress will be monitored
- How you'll measure success
It should focus on those significant strategic challenges facing your school - usually for the next academic year. It's also referred to as a strategic plan or a school development plan.
Your headteacher and the senior leadership team (SLT) will draft the actual document.
Read more about the purpose