Intervention & external support 1 article
- Interim executive board: appointment, membership and role Get to grips with the process for appointing an interim executive board (IEB), understand what its role is and find out who makes up its membership.
School improvement planning 8 articles
- COVID-19 retrospective: how to help your school learn lessons from the past year Help your leaders take stock of this unique period in time to uncover positive learning points, so your school can move forward with renewed focus and confidence.
- How to evaluate and approve the school improvement plan Your governing board should approve the school improvement plan (SIP) every year. Understand the process for doing that, what to look out for and what questions to ask. The SIP is sometimes called a school development plan or strategic plan.
- Key performance indicators (KPIs) for schools and trusts Updated Find specific advice about financial KPIs, which academy trusts are required to set. See examples of key performance indicators for maintained schools and academies, and how to use them effectively alongside your school improvement plan (SIP) or strategic plan.
Structuring the school day and year 1 article
- Changing the length of the school day Read the rules on setting and changing the school day for maintained schools and academies. Get advice on how to consult on the changes, and see examples of other schools' consultations.
Values & ethos 7 articles
- Find your vision and strategy part 1: lay the groundwork You know that your school's meant to have a strong vision statement - but what does that mean? Learn what it is, why you need one and how to get the ball rolling to find yours.
- Find your vision and strategy part 2: how to run an away day Many boards take a day together in the summer term to reflect on their school’s vision and strategy. Read our facilitator’s guide on how to organise and run one for your board, both in-person or in a virtual space.
- How to embed your school's vision Understand how you can communicate your school's vision to stakeholders and how to embed the vision into the work of your governing board.