You are here:
Checklist for governor induction
Use our checklist to help your governors or trustees settle in to their role quickly and start adding value to your board straight away.
Download our checklist
We worked with our associate expert, Fred Birkett, to develop this checklist.
If you're a chair of governors or governor mentor
Use the checklist as a basis for induction to help determine:
- The tasks you need to carry out
- The paperwork you need to pass on to your new governors
Read more about how to induct new governors effectively.
If you're a new governor
Use it to:
- Check what actions you need complete to ensure you get to grips with your role as a governor
- Remind your mentor/chair of governors of any paperwork you haven't received
Registering with The Key
Tell your new governors to register themselves with The Key for School Governors so they can access our full range of resources, read up on the topics they're likely to encounter and stay up-to-date with changes in education.
To create their personal login, tell them to:
- Visit My Key (https://my.thekeysupport.com/register/)
- Have your school's postcode to hand, they'll need this for registration
- Fill in the short registration form, and select 'The Key for School Governors' when given the option
There is no limit to the number of users your school can have, so make sure all your governors are signed up.
If you have any queries or need more help, speak to our member support team via live chat (the red button at the bottom-right corner of this page), visit our Help Centre, or call us. Our working hours are 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday.
Fred Birkett is an experienced teacher and education consultant. He has been a governor for 20 years in primary and secondary schools and a chair of governors for half that time.
More from The Key
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.