Know your main functions
As 'first among equals', you don't have any individual power, except in cases of urgency. However, you do have a key leadership role on the board.
Your job is to:
- Work with school and trust leaders to promote and maintain high standards of educational achievement
- If you're the chair of a local governing body (LGB), you'll also lead on making sure your LGB stays engaged with your trust
- Make sure that your board sets a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction for the school or trust
- Work with the board to hold the headteacher or CEO to account for educational performance and the performance management of staff
- Ensure financial oversight and value for money
If you're chair of an LGB, it will vary how involved you'll be in some aspects of the trust's business, such as financial oversight. Check your scheme of delegation to be clear on what your LBG is responsible for.