Our associate education experts Fred Birkett, Ray Gold, Bill Dennison, Jackie Beard, David Roche and Hayley James helped us to write this article.
This article is aimed at clerks, but if you're a chair or governor it'll also help you if you need clarity on the rules around attendance.
Who can attend meetings
The following people are entitled to attend any meeting of the governing board:
- A governor (unless they've been suspended)
- The headteacher of the school (whether or not they're a governor)
- The clerk to the governing board
- An associate member (but they can be excluded from any agenda items which concern individual members of staff or pupils)
- Any other person if it's agreed by the governing board
Any member of the committee (unless they've been suspended) The headteacher (whether or not they're a member of the committee) The clerk to the committee Any other person that the governing board