What you need to do: in summary
Your trust must:
- Keep a register of the relevant business and pecuniary interests of members, trustees, local governors and senior employees. This is to make sure your trust is transparent and open
- Identify relevant material interests arising from close family relationships
- Publish the register online
- Keep the register up to date at all times
This is explained in paragraphs 5.45 to 5.48 of the Academy Trust Handbook (ATH).
Use GovernorHub to streamline the process
Let your governors/trustees know they can add their declarations of interest to their GovernorHub profile.
You can also download your whole board's declarations of interest to help you create your register - find out how here.
What counts as an interest?
The ATH requires you to declare:
- Directorships, partnerships and employments with businesses
- Trusteeships and governorships at other educational institutions or charities
- Interests arising from relationships with other members, trustees or local governors
- Interests arising from relationships with trust employees