Governors and trustees supplying schools with goods or services

Find out how to manage conflicts of interest if you’re buying a governor's or trustee's goods or services. If you're an academy trust, understand the rules around managing related party transactions.

Last reviewed on 4 August 2023See updates
Ref: 41726
  1. Manage any conflicts of interest 
  2. Definition of a ‘related party’ 
  3. Managing related party transactions

Manage any conflicts of interest 

Governing boards in maintained schools can pay for goods or services provided by someone who's serving on the board.

However, the individual must not put themselves in a position where their personal interests conflict with their duty unless they're authorised to do so.

If there's a conflict, your board should assure itself that the procurement transaction: 

  • Is in its best interests
  • Will better help it achieve its purposes

Your board must:

  • Manage, and be seen to manage, any conflicts of interest that may arise
  • Be open and accountable to those with an interest

This is set out in the Governance Handbook (paragraph 76, page 50).

Find out about the requirement for governors in maintained schools to declare relevant business or pecuniary interests, including the supply of goods or services to the school.

Make sure the relevant governor isn't part of the procurement process for any of their goods or services

Auditors will

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.