Health & safety
- Emergency school closures Updated Clarify when your school can close, who makes the decision and what the role of your chair and board is. See examples of emergency school closure procedures from schools.
- Governing board's role in health and safety As a governing board, you have responsibility for overseeing health and safety in your school. Learn more about what responsibilities you have and how to effectively delegate those duties.
- Governors' role in monitoring risk assessments Understand your role when it comes to health and safety risk assessments, including how to seek assurance that they're up to scratch. Also see an example of what one might look like.
- Health and safety - governors' role Read our 1-page summary of your duties in relation to health and safety. Download a copy to share with your colleagues.
- Health and safety questions to ask Find out what questions you can ask your senior leaders, and what to look for in their answers, so you know your school's keeping on top of health and safety. Download our questions so you have them to hand.
- Health and safety report to governors: template You decide the scope and format of a health and safety report, however it's up to your senior leaders to put the report together. Suggest they download and use our template to help keep you informed.
- School governors' personal liability If you act honestly, reasonably and in good faith, you'll generally be protected from personal liability. Get to grips with the unlikely circumstances where you could be held personally liable, and whether you need liability insurance.
- Statutory and mandatory risk assessments Use our list of risk assessments that schools must hold to make sure your school is compliant. Download and use the checklist to help scrutinise whether your school is meeting requirements.