Need-to-know: Applications are open for the National Leaders of Governance (NLG) programme
National Leaders of Governance (NLGs) are expert trustees, governors and governance professionals. Applications are now open for the first time since 2017.
You'll need to apply by the deadline on 29 July 2021 at 9am.
NLGs deliver DfE-funded governance support to targeted schools and trusts. As an NLG, you'll be paid a daily rate of £500 for these services.
Successful applicants will be recruited, trained and deployed by the National Governance Association (NGA).
- You meet the eligibility criteria below
- You'll be able to attend 2 virtual, half-day training sessions on either:
- 30 September and 1 October 2021, or
- 5 and 6 October 2021
- Have at least 5 years of school or trust board governance experience, including:
- 3 years of experience as a chair of governors, or
- 5 years of experience as a clerk or governance professional
- Currently be in a role in governance which involves holding the executive to account, or in a clerk or governance professional role (unless in exceptional circumstances)
- Have experience as trustee, governor, clerk or governance professional in at least 2 unrelated settings:
- One must be an academy trust board or a school governing board, and
- One or more may be in a non-education setting
Additionally, one of the following must also be true:
- You're currently the chair of a school that Ofsted has judged as 'good' or 'outstanding,' or the chair or lead trustee in a trust that isn't subject to a financial notice to improve or any other warning notice relating to financial management
- You can demonstrate a track record in improving governance in a school or trust, that's resulted in an improved overall leadership and management Ofsted judgement or other objective measure
- You're able to demonstrate a track record in providing effective professional services that have challenged and delivered improved governance in schools or trusts, and led to an improved Ofsted judgement or other objective measure
See the full details on NLG standards, the recruitment process and how to apply here.