Pay committee: terms of reference
If you are writing or reviewing your pay committee's terms of reference, get inspiration from examples from schools. You'll also find a link to our terms of reference template, and guidance on how to write one.
What to include
Your board may delegate the following responsibilities to your pay committee:
- Making sure the appraisal policy is robust and has as little impact as possible on teachers' workloads
- Making sure your policy links performance to pay and can be applied consistently and objectively
- Considering and approving the recommendations of the senior leadership team about awarding performance-related pay progression
- Monitoring the outcomes of pay decisions
- Checking that processes operate fairly
- Being aware of the impact that pay decisions have on the school's budget
- Making sure pay appeals are managed in line with the school pay and appraisal policies
Your governing board retains ultimate responsibility for pay decisions, even though your headteacher will normally handle the day-to-day decision-making.
This is outlined on pages 9 and 10 of the Department for Education's guidance on implementing your school's approach to pay.
Be sure to check with your local authority just in case it outlines any specific responsibilities to include.
There aren't any hard and fast