You are here:
The governing board: purpose and responsibilities
Save time and download our summary of your board's responsibilities.
The 3 core functions of the governing board
The Governance Handbook explains these are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff
- Overseeing financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
Key tasks and responsibilities
These vary depending on your school type
Download our KeyDoc below to get a sense of what you need to do based on your school type.
- Behaviour and exclusions
- Parents and the community
- Health and safety
- Pupil wellbeing
- Special education needs and disabilities (SEND)
- Pay and appraisal
More from The Key
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.