New governor welcome letter: template
As a chair of governors, download and adapt our template letter so you can welcome your new governor to your board with confidence.
Download our template
Download and adapt our template letter to welcome your new governor to your board.
Our associate education expert Dr Ingrid Wassenaar helped us with this letter.
Find out how to induct new governors effectively.
Information to accompany your letter
You may want to include the following information with your letter:
- Full governing board and committee meeting dates
- Governor induction pack
- Induction checklist – use this checklist so you're clear on what documentation you need to give them. You can also give this checklist to the new governor
- New governor mentor contact information
- Any additional information regarding virtual meetings
- Guidance on how to prepare for your next governing board meeting
- Information on the type of governor the new governor is, for example co-opted, staff or parent governor
- Information on induction training
Examples from other schools
Granby Primary School in Leicestershire includes a sample welcome letter in Appendix 1 of its governor induction