Spring term 2023 agenda items and how to prepare
Here are the headline issues you're likely to cover in your full governing board meeting this term. Read on to understand each issue and feel prepared with further reading and questions you can ask to interrogate the agenda items effectively.
- Think about wellbeing and mental health
- Consider the impact of the cost-of-living crisis
- Understand your school's plans for 2023 exams
- Complete the SFVS
- Finalise next year’s budget
- Monitor your school's education recovery plan
- Review your recruitment processes
- Determine admission arrangements for entry in September 2024
- Review and publish gender pay gap information
- Monitor your school improvement plan (SIP)
- Take a look at the diversity on your board
- Set up governors with training from The Key
Think about wellbeing and mental health
Use this agenda item to make sure your school is supporting the wellbeing of your headteacher, senior leaders, staff and pupils.
As a board, ask yourself the following questions:
- How are we supporting our headteacher's wellbeing? How do we know if they're coping with their workload and achieving a healthy work-life balance?
- What is our school doing to improve wellbeing for different groups of people, such as the headteacher, senior leaders, staff and pupils? Does it have action plans for this?
- What's the intended impact of these initiatives? How does the school know whether they're working?
- Do school leaders survey staff to understand their needs – for example, using a wellbeing questionnaire?
- Does our school vision include a commitment to improving mental health and wellbeing? If not, should we review the vision together with senior leaders?