You are here:

Appeals panels: how can we find enough 'untainted' governors?

Ref: 4275
Last updated on 4 November 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
Can governors from neighbouring schools sit on appeals panels? This article looks at impartiality requirements for appeals panels. It also explains how people from outside the governing body can legally be used on appeals panels in maintained schools and academy trusts.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.10 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your governing body. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school governors access to:

  • More than a thousand online articles, with information and resources to help governors get to grips with their role
  • Policy bank from schools and other organisations
  • Downloadable template forms and reports, and planners
  • Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
  • Pre-inspection resources, including questions that inspectors may ask
  • A weekly News Briefing


  1. 1 Members of appeals panels must be 'untainted'
  2. 2 Maintained schools: no informal delegation to governors from other schools
  3. 3 Maintained schools: forming a joint appeals committee
  4. 4 Maintained schools: appointing associate members to staffing appeals panels
  5. 5 Can we use governors from the LA's governors' forum?
  6. 6 Can we keep our own appeals committee if we form a joint appeals committee?
  7. 7 Appeals panels in single academy trusts
  8. 8 Arrangements in multi-academy trusts

Article features

  • 11 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.