Approving the budget: questions to ask (finance committee)
Know what questions to ask school leaders when you're scrutinising the budget (including considerations as a result of coronavirus), so you cover all angles before passing the budget on to the full governing board for approval.
These questions are based on the Department for Education’s (DfE’s) top 10 planning checks for governors, and advice from our associate education expert.
- How has this budget been affected by the impact of coronavirus?
- Have you claimed back for extra costs related to coronavirus?
- Your school leaders had until 21 July 2020 to submit the relevant form
- If not, will you be doing so when a new claim window opens?
- The Education Skills and Funding Agency (ESFA) says it'll publish details on making subsequent claims later in the year
- Does this budget take into account potential coronavirus-related costs in the future? (e.g. additional cleaning, remote learning equipment)
- Has our income generation been affected? Do we have a strategy in place to seize other opportunities to raise income?
How is our school using the catch-up premium? How did you decide what interventions or activities to spend the catch-up premium on? Can we see a break-down of how this links to