You are here:
Academy Trust Handbook: changes from September 2021
The Academies Financial Handbook has been refreshed and renamed. There are no major changes, but you should still be familiar with what’s different in the new handbook. Use our summary to get up to speed.
The Academies Financial Handbook has been renamed as the Academy Trust Handbook.
This article refers to the Academy Trust Handbook 2021, which comes into effect on 1 September 2021. It summarises the changes highlighted on page 9 and 10 of the handbook.
Be aware of the risk of cybercrime
Your trust must:
- Put in place proportionate controls
- Take appropriate action where a cyber security incident has occurred
- Get permission from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) to pay any cyber ransom demands
This is set out in sections 6.16 and 6.17 of the handbook.
The ESFA links to further guidance which your trust leaders might find useful:
- The ESFA's academy trust guide to reducing fraud
- The National Cyber Security Centre, and its article on education sector ransomware attacks
The ESFA may obtain information about your trust from third parties
If requested by the ESFA,
More from The Key
The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.