Headteacher appraisal: step-by-step process and templates
Use our 5-stage process for your headteacher's appraisal this year. Download our templates and checklist so you know you've met all your statutory requirements and have everything covered.
- Checklist: the full process
- Stage 1: before the review meeting
- Stage 2: hold a pre-meeting with the external adviser
- Stage 3: pre-meeting between the headteacher and external adviser
- Stage 4: headteacher's review and planning meeting
- Stage 5: after the headteacher's review and planning meeting
- Who should see the report?
This article is based on The Education (School Teachers’ Appraisal) (England) Regulations 2012, the Department for Education's teacher appraisal model policy, and advice from our HR expert Ruth Alinek. The law and guidance applies to maintained schools only, but academies can follow it if they wish.
The Department for Education withdrew its guidance on how to adapt performance management to the circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic in October 2021. You should conduct your headteacher's appraisal as you did before the pandemic. However, bear in mind that the situation is not entirely back to normal – for example, no external school results data is available for the past 2 years. Lean on your external adviser to help make sure your headteacher’s performance is evaluated fairly.
Checklist: the full process
KeyDoc: headteacher appraisal