You are here:

Ofsted: sharing a judgement of 'inadequate' or 'requires improvement'

Ref: 4720
Last updated on 14 February 2017
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
How should we share an Ofsted rating of 'requires improvement' or 'inadequate'? We relay advice on communicating with parents, dealing with press interest and building trust following a negative inspection report. We also look at examples of letters to parents about placement in 'special measures'.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.10 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your governing body. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school governors access to:

  • More than a thousand online articles, with information and resources to help governors get to grips with their role
  • Policy bank from schools and other organisations
  • Downloadable template forms and reports, and planners
  • Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
  • Pre-inspection resources, including questions that inspectors may ask
  • A weekly News Briefing


  1. 1 When and how to share inspection results with the school community 
  2. 2 Sharing the outcome with parents: examples from schools
  3. 3 Dealing with the media following a negative Ofsted judgement
  4. 4 Media statements from chairs: examples from schools 
  5. 5 Building trust with parents after being put in 'special measures'

Article features

  • 17 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.