How to review your staff disciplinary procedures
Understand how to review your school's staff disciplinary procedures, including questions you can ask. Save time with our policy checklist, and use our model policy to see what good looks like.
What this policy needs to do
It should cover:
- The purpose of the disciplinary policy and procedure
- When formal disciplinary procedures will be followed, including:
- That minor disciplinary issues are best dealt with informally at first
- The initial investigation and informing the member of staff of a case to answer, including:
- Who will be involved
- Timelines of the process
- How the employee will be informed of the investigation and invited to meetings
- Holding a meeting to discuss the problem, including:
- Timelines and structure of the meeting
- Information regarding witnesses and companions
- What appropriate action will be taken after the meetings
- The appeals process
- Working with trade unions
- How special cases will be dealt with
- Record keeping
Download our checklist
Use this checklist to help you ask questions of your school leaders to make sure they've covered everything they need to in the policy.
3 key questions to challenge this policy
1. What's changed in this most recent update, and why?