How to review your whistle-blowing policy: checklist, model and examples
Academies are required to have a whistle-blowing policy. Understand the requirements and use our checklist and model policy to review the procedure for your school or trust.
Viewing article for:
Requirements for academies
In addition to having this policy and publishing it on your website, your trust:
- Should appoint at least 1 trustee and 1 member of staff who other staff can contact to report concerns
- Must make sure all staff are aware of the procedures and how concerns will be managed
- Must make sure all concerns are responded to in a fair and proper way
Staff should know:
- What protections are available to them if they report something
- What areas of malpractice or wrongdoing are covered by the whistle-blowing policy
- Who they can approach to report a concern
This is set out in the Academy Trust Handbook (pages 27 and 28).
Model policy and checklist
Our model policy is from our sister service,