How to review your whistle-blowing policy
Academies are required to have a whistle-blowing policy. Understand the requirements, find out how to review your policy, and use our model as a guide for what good looks like.
Requirements for academies
In addition to having this policy, and publishing it on your website, your trust:
- Should appoint at least 1 trustee and 1 member of staff who other staff can contact to report concerns
- Must make sure all staff are aware of the procedures and how concerns will be managed
- Must make sure all concerns are responded to in a fair and proper way
Staff should know:
- What protections are available to them if they report someone
- What areas of malpractice or wrongdoing are covered by the whistle-blowing policy
- Who they can approach to report a concern
This is set out in the Academy Trust Handbook (pages 30 to 31).
It's been approved by Forbes Solicitors, and is designed for your senior