Instrument of government: model and checklist
Save time by downloading our model instrument of government for maintained schools. Use our checklist to feel confident when reviewing your own.
Our model policy and checklist are based on requirements set out in The School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012 and in Annex C of statutory guidance from the Department for Education (DfE).
Download our model policy
Adapt it to suit your school’s context when creating your instrument of government, or use it to benchmark your own.
Use our checklist
Review your instrument of government with confidence with our checklist.
How to create an instrument of government
- Your governing board drafts the instrument
- Foundation governors, trustees or appropriate religious bodies approve it (where relevant)
- Your board submits the instrument of government to your local authority (LA)
- Your LA checks the draft instrument complies with the legal requirements
- If it does comply, your LA will ‘make’ the instrument
If your LA isn't satisfied with your instrument of government, it must inform your board and give you the chance to reach an agreement on a revised