How to review your policy on children with health needs who can't attend school
See what senior leaders should include in this policy and what questions you can ask them, so you can confidently review it. Take a look at our model policy, and school and trust examples, to get an idea of what yours might look like.
What this policy needs to do
It should reflect:
- The Education Act 1996
- The DfE’s statutory guidance for local authorities (LAs)
- Your own LA's guidance on education for children with additional health needs
It's not your job to cross-reference your policy with this guidance, but you should expect your senior leaders to have done so.
While there are no requirements in terms of what this policy should include, you'll want to make sure it sets out:
- Your school’s/trust's responsibilities
- Your LA’s responsibilities
- How your school/trust will work with your LA, including when the pupil is to be reintegrated
It could also include details on: