How to review your behaviour policy
Find everything you need to review and approve your school's or trust's behaviour policy, including what to look for in the policy and key questions to ask senior leaders.
If you're on a local governing body (LGB), see the 'multi-academy trusts' tab for information on your role.
Key statutes and guidance
- Education and Inspections Act 2006 (section 89)
- Behaviour in schools
- Searching, screening and confiscation at school
- School suspensions and permanent exclusions
This policy must have due regard for:
- The Equality Act 2010
- Special educational needs and disability (SEND) Code of Practice
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE)
- The Children and Families Act 2014
What this policy needs to do
Your school's behaviour policy must set out measures that regulate pupils' conduct and which aim to:
- Promote good behaviour, self-discipline and respect
- Prevent bullying
- Make sure pupils complete assigned work
This is based on the advice from paragraphs 7 and 8 of the behaviour in schools guidance from the Department for Education (DfE).
Maintained schools: the policy must take account of